Saturday, March 5, 2011

My future life Down Under

I have a new plan for 6 months to a year of my life.

I'm going to move to Australia ...



and work on a cattle station...


in the Outback...



that will also have sheep that I can shear (in addition to the cattle. Don't worry - I won't shear the cattle.)


During my time in Australia, I may also visit some cities (such as Sydney)...



And the beach.

I'll see a few kangaroos.

and maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll find myself a man with a nice Australian accent.



Don't you think it sounds fun?

Of course, I don't plan on doing this right away, but maybe before I get too old. Details about working on an Outback ranch be found here. I'm sure my dad and brother probably think I could work on their ranch, instead; but where is the fun and adventure in that?

Now, a few fun facts about my future, temporary home (For all, but especially included for Uncle Don):

1. There are more cell phones than people in Australia
2. There are more sheep than people in Australia (For each person in Australia there are two sheep and over 16 rabbits).
3. Australia was the 2nd country to give women the vote
4. Australia Day (January 26) is the anniversary of ships of convicts arriving in Sydney.
5.
Over 90% of Australia is dry, flat and arid. Almost three-quarters of the land cannot support agriculture in any form
6. Emus and kangaroos cannot walk backwards, and are on the Australian coat of arms for that reason.

7. Four out of 10 Australians are migrants or the first-generation children of migrants
8. The 'dingo fence' in Australia is the longest fence in the world, and is about twice as long as the Great Wall of China.
9. The name for the Australian marsupial Kangaroo came about when some of the first white settlers saw this strange animal hopping along and they asked the Aborigines what it was called. They replied with 'Kanguru', which in the native language meant 'I don't know' .
10. The population density of Australia is 6 people per square mile.

*Source for facts 2-10: http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/facts.htm.
**Images were found via Google Images (Sorry, Earl, I didn't use Bing this time...using Google is just habit, I guess).








2 comments:

Beee said...

I did know the fact about the dingo fence. .. thanks Steve Irwin. That would be fun if you moved there, then I could come visit, you know for a year or two... did I say year, I meant month or week. Naw, year.
One of the fun facts you failed to inclued is it is home to 7 of the 10 most venomous snakes in the world.

GO MANDA!!!

Crystal said...

And New Zealand was the first to give women the right to vote!

I think your plans are wonderful! It would be great to have you as my neighbor- I'll work the farm in NZ while you work the ranch in Australia!